BootlegZone

Made for and by bootleg lovers
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Versury
 Post subject: Black Album 30th Anniversary Edition
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 am 

Hi, I'm working on a 50-year edition of the glorious Black Album, in my opinion one of the best bootlegs. However, I noticed that there is a lot of silence on some tracks or a lot of "pips" and even extouro on the audio, exaggerated sound from the bass etc ... So I'm basing myself on the remaster of "Remasters Workshop" made in 2009. I already edited the disc 1, I'm editing the covers, I'll soon edit the disc 2 and I'm making a selection from other bootlegs for a third bonus disc with some "unforgettable" tracks from Beatles rehearsals ... any other news or updates I'll be reporting here!
Soon I'll make a break to see the tracklist!

If you did not like what I did and I'm doing, just ignore any friendly suggestions that please me, just tell me!

Thanks! Versury!

iburriedpaul
 Post subject: Re: Black Album 30th Anniversary Edition
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:45 pm 

What a neat Idea!

While I haven't personally haven't heard the RMW edition, I believe I can safely assume they're tracks pulled from the already-existing A/B Road Series.

You asked for friendly suggestions: What I'd Like to See Is a set of Vinyl Rips from the three original discs. One Volume would be the un-altered (no noise reduction, no EQ) rip of the album. The second volume could be your 'remastered' or improved version. I'd personally prefer this, because you'd be actually using the bootleg as a source, whereas RMW simply supplements better sources for each track when possible, unless the track is characteristic to the album (Rough Notes, 20x20, etc.)

There's been a lot of people recently who bog off well-known, 'modern' releases, add some EQ and Adobe noise cancellation and – voila! A new Beatles 'Bootleg'.

Of course, I can only speak for myself. It would just be nice to see something fresh out of this forum rather than a "new stereo remix" package or "custom music video" :wink:

joguema
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:08 pm 

iburriedpaul wrote:
While I haven't personally haven't heard the RMW edition, I believe I can safely assume they're tracks pulled from the already-existing A/B Road Series.

Here is some info from Mr. RMW himself:

THE BEATLES
THE BLACK ALBUM
Remastered Edition

Pitch, phase and level corrected from the circulating CD-R bootleg at Remasters Workshop, June 2009.

This is a digital representation of the vinyl bootleg originally issued 1981 on the EVA label (that's what it said on the labels; whoever put it out is a bit of a mystery). The CD version was compiled from different sources, to upgrade the sound of the record, which, admittedly, was pretty bad.

When it got to me, I checked and everything on it was wildly out of phase (no azimuth alignment on the original tape transfers) and the playback speed was all over the place. I corrected these, retuning to a keyboard @A=440 for each tape segment, and restoring the phase to true mono, as the recordings were originally made. Levels were fixed to be consistent all the way through, rather than each segment at a different volume.

Revised front and back artwork is included.
Extra artwork, including a booklet and the poster that came with the album, is available at bootlegzone (search for "The Black Album").

Please do not convert this material to a lossy format and redistribute it.

Enjoy!

Remasters Workshop
July 3, 2009

additional info from RMW in Dec. 2011:

I haven't looked at this one in quite awhile, and I notice that there is no number on the spine. I think this was made during the period where my cataloguing system got all messed up. So for reference, the official numbers of this set are RMW 453 / 454. I found this on Usenet years ago, and after posting it at the green place, the guy who made it (the CD version) contacted me, saying that he was so impressed by the improvements that he now points people to download this one instead of his. High praise indeed! Still, it's not exactly like the record. There are a few things on it that I know aren't on here, and one of these days I am going to transfer the records, even though the material has all come out in pristine sound since - because a true representation of the records isn't out there yet.

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm 

iburriedpaul wrote:
What a neat Idea!

You asked for friendly suggestions: What I'd Like to See Is a set of Vinyl Rips from the three original discs. One Volume would be the un-altered (no noise reduction, no EQ) rip of the album. The second volume could be your 'remastered' or improved version. I'd personally prefer this, because you'd be actually using the bootleg as a source, whereas RMW simply supplements better sources for each track when possible, unless the track is characteristic to the album (Rough Notes, 20x20, etc.)

There's been a lot of people recently who bog off well-known, 'modern' releases, add some EQ and Adobe noise cancellation and – voila! A new Beatles 'Bootleg'.

Of course, I can only speak for myself. It would just be nice to see something fresh out of this forum rather than a "new stereo remix" package or "custom music video" :wink:

The point is that if you listen, there is a lot of silence on some tracks, a lot of interval, the sound of the bass very strong, among others ... I will only make a volume for now with a third disc with bonus tracks ... Nothing more for now ..

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm 

joguema wrote:
iburriedpaul wrote:

Here is some info from Mr. RMW himself:

THE BEATLES
THE BLACK ALBUM
Remastered Edition

Pitch, phase and level corrected from the circulating CD-R bootleg at Remasters Workshop, June 2009.

This is a digital representation of the vinyl bootleg originally issued 1981 on the EVA label (that's what it said on the labels; whoever put it out is a bit of a mystery). The CD version was compiled from different sources, to upgrade the sound of the record, which, admittedly, was pretty bad.

When it got to me, I checked and everything on it was wildly out of phase (no azimuth alignment on the original tape transfers) and the playback speed was all over the place. I corrected these, retuning to a keyboard @A=440 for each tape segment, and restoring the phase to true mono, as the recordings were originally made. Levels were fixed to be consistent all the way through, rather than each segment at a different volume.

Revised front and back artwork is included.
Extra artwork, including a booklet and the poster that came with the album, is available at bootlegzone (search for "The Black Album").

Please do not convert this material to a lossy format and redistribute it.

Enjoy!

Remasters Workshop
July 3, 2009

additional info from RMW in Dec. 2011:

I haven't looked at this one in quite awhile, and I notice that there is no number on the spine. I think this was made during the period where my cataloguing system got all messed up. So for reference, the official numbers of this set are RMW 453 / 454. I found this on Usenet years ago, and after posting it at the green place, the guy who made it (the CD version) contacted me, saying that he was so impressed by the improvements that he now points people to download this one instead of his. High praise indeed! Still, it's not exactly like the record. There are a few things on it that I know aren't on here, and one of these days I am going to transfer the records, even though the material has all come out in pristine sound since - because a true representation of the records isn't out there yet.

RMW himself came to me at the PM and appears not to be happy with the project. I think he does not want me to change or base his remaster done in 2009, but I think it's time for a new edition.

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm 

iburriedpaul wrote:
What a neat Idea!

It's a shame I did not own the original LP extract, if not I would do that ...

lappin7
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 pm 

Versury wrote:
iburriedpaul wrote:
What a neat Idea!

The point is that if you listen, there is a lot of silence on some tracks, a lot of interval, the sound of the bass very strong, among others ... I will only make a volume for now with a third disc with bonus tracks ... Nothing more for now ..

Versury
I recognize your efforts to share
but I don't see much point in this project.

a) you are going to ride on what was done by
"Remasters Workshop"

b) removing the silences or equalizing the bass volume can be done by anyone who knows how to use an audio editor. And a lot of people know how to do that.

c) to collect a bonus disc, anyone can do it.

If you proposed to make something more valuable like a good stereo fake mix or even a 5.1 fake mix, the project would have a new value.

I don't want to bother you, they're just ideas to help you get your time and effort on the right track.

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm 

lappin7 wrote:
Versury wrote:
iburriedpaul wrote:
What a neat Idea!

Versury
I recognize your efforts to share
but I don't see much point in this project.

a) you are going to ride on what was done by
"Remasters Workshop"

b) removing the silences or equalizing the bass volume can be done by anyone who knows how to use an audio editor. And a lot of people know how to do that.

c) to collect a bonus disc, anyone can do it.

If you proposed to make something more valuable like a good stereo fake mix or even a 5.1 fake mix, the project would have a new value.

I don't want to bother you, they're just ideas to help you get your time and effort on the right track.

As I said, you do not bother me in any way! I do not intend to do any fake 5.1 or fake stereo, even if I do not do it (if you can give me tips I'll even do it). I just want to do some editing that I think would be a bonus disc as a 30 year celebration. I will do this just for the pleasure of knowing that someone still remembers and takes this valuable bootleg forward, I just used BASE as the work of RMW ...

lappin7
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 pm 

Versury, please understand:
Riding on 90% of the work done by others so that you only add 10% of your share is stealing others' time and proposals. :weep:

If your new version is based on the Nagras that you yourself will improve in terms of sound (without relying on the work of others who have not given you permission), then go ahead.

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 pm 

I know what I'm doing and who I'm messing with (they seem to me to be very important people in the beatleg business). But ... one thing I know will happen, and it will not be good.
And I'm not talking about the record, but what it's going to cause of repercussion through there

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:38 pm 

I came to my conclusion, I'm going to release this edition of the Black Album still this week so I hope and the rest will be in God's hands :wink: .... I will not worry about what some people think about (mainly the RMW :wobble: ), a new one record label to come
(Decca Beatles Records) and I will not miss an opportunity to do something that I think is important to me :) , for a starting point.
UP TO THE RELEASE FRIENDS :hi: :D !

TheLazenby
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 pm 

So wait.... you're fairly new to the forum, annoy everyone almost instantly with post after post after post....

And are now intentionally and knowingly pissing off established members of the forum? What are you trying to prove?

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 pm 

TheLazenby wrote:
So wait.... you're fairly new to the forum, annoy everyone almost instantly with post after post after post....

And are now intentionally and knowingly pissing off established members of the forum? What are you trying to prove?

What am I trying to prove? One hour you find out, or try to find out for yourself.

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 pm 

I really do not understand why they care so much about a user's activity and what he does and does ... I do not know what that affects in your life

yellowsubmarine
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm 

Oh, come on!

Everyone has 83 CD set called "A/B Road" by Purple Chick, which is the best collection of those Get Back sessions so far. And you know what I mean...

Versury
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 pm 

Do not argue with me, argue with the guy who invented this LP in 1981. Also discuss with these guys who still bootleg Get Back Sessions, I just want to make a great commemorative edition of this glorious LP. And I'm determined, I'll do it and that's it! Like cool, did not like my bootleg, I'm not even there!

Versury
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 am 

UPDATE!

I finished the disk one and two

The Fool
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:36 am 

Versury wrote:
UPDATE!

Is it going to be on disc or disk?

Versury
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:06 am 

The Fool wrote:
Versury wrote:
UPDATE!

Is it going to be on disc or disk?

I'm still deciding this, what will be the best method ... Then I move to one and then another ...

Versury
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:07 am 

Remembering that this topic will be made and probably deleted on launch!

MPLRecords
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:34 am 

Versury wrote:

You're making a topic seperate from this one that you've already started? :?

Versury
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:51 am 

MPLRecords wrote:
Versury wrote:

You're making a topic seperate from this one that you've already started? :?

I think I'm going to use this one, I'm still finalizing the 3 disc and the covers, it should be ready between today or the 17th I hope.

TheLazenby
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm 

Versury wrote:
Do not argue with me, argue with the guy who invented this LP in 1981. Also discuss with these guys who still bootleg Get Back Sessions, I just want to make a great commemorative edition of this glorious LP. And I'm determined, I'll do it and that's it! Like cool, did not like my bootleg, I'm not even there!

Seriously, don't come to this forum and treat everyone like shit. You're not making yourself very welcome. We get along with each other here.

kmcm
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm 

MP3?

yellowsubmarine
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm 

I just don't see any point of this release.