Made for and by bootleg lovers
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

DLedin
 Post subject: Needledrop: Paul McCartney, Amoeba's Secret
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:00 am 

Paul McCartney
Amoeba’s Secret

This is a 12” vinyl transfer of “Amoeba’s Secret” which is an LP (more like an EP if you ask me) that contains four songs from Paul McCartney’s appearance at Amoeba Records.

I have to plead ignorance on these informal appearances that Macca has been making in various locations. I’ve been hearing about them here and there but this “LP” was the first tangible item that I’ve run across in a store. I believe there have been radio broadcasts containing some of these tracks but I haven’t pursued them and I’m sure there are folks out there who know more about this than I.

Upon unsealing this “LP” I was amused at what passes for a label on this vinyl release. It truly looks like a bootleg as you can see from the image example I’ve provided.

In any case, here’s the Amoeba’s Secret vinyl rip. This transfer was made at 96kHz/32-bit (float). I’ve manually removed what few pops & clicks there were via the Audition pop/click removal tool. As usual, no EQ or N/R has been added. When the audio was ready, it was dithered down to 16 and 24-bit wav files and from there to flac files.

The tracks included are:
1) Only Mama Knows
2) C Moon
3) That Was Me
4) I Saw Her Standing There

Enjoy.

-DLedin

Macca
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:15 pm 

Thanks Ledin, can't wait to hear this. I have the LP but nothing to play it on. :lol:

//McKenzie

DLedin
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:42 pm 

Father McKenzie wrote:
Thanks Ledin, can't wait to hear this. I have the LP but nothing to play it on. :lol:

//McKenzie

That's one way to keep your vinyl in mint condition. :)

-DLedin

Macca
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:44 pm 

DLedin wrote:
Father McKenzie wrote:

//McKenzie

That's one way to keep your vinyl in mint condition. :)

-DLedin

Yeah. :lol:

But I long for the day to get down on those sealed LP's and play them on my new turntable. But I can live with my CD's a bit longer.

//McKenzie

secretfriend
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:21 pm 

This is wonderful. Thank you so much DLedin.

Can't wait to hear it.

Macca
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:24 pm 

Great transfer! I like the fact that this release does not only look like a bootleg but also sounds like one. The vocals are not great recorded for instance.

Thanks D-dog. :king:

//McKenzie

joguema
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:32 pm 

Many thanks Doug.

I downloaded it from ST. My first and probably last download from that site, if nobody else gets it from there and helps increasing my ratio.

http://ni9e.com/typo/typo_lennon.html

markshan
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:35 pm 

joguema wrote:
Many thanks Doug.

I downloaded it from ST. My first and probably last download from that site, if nobody else gets it from there and helps increasing my ratio.

You ratio goes up just from keeping a torrent open there, even if nobody downloads. You just have to be patient and use moderation.

levinejona
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:42 pm 

Can somebody PM me and let me know what the ST is? Also, Dledin, I owe you a 24/96 copy of die beatles!

nobodytoldme
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:09 pm 

Thanks a lot :)!!

DLedin
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:36 pm 

levinejona wrote:
Can somebody PM me and let me know what the ST is? Also, Dledin, I owe you a 24/96 copy of die beatles!

Not anymore my friend, I have been able to download a 24-bit Die Beatles, made by someone called SilverKing, that Polo Zappa (I believe it was) made available. We're fine. Let me know if you don't get a response regarding ST. I don't have any invites but can point you in the right direction.

joguema wrote:
Many thanks Doug.

Hey, I'll stop seeding the 16-bit version. It may help boost things for you.

Concerning this Amoeba's Secret I have an observation, when first auditioning this LP before transferring I noticed right off the bat that there's a lot of low end to this LP. I auditioned this vinyl through my home system's solid state integrated amplifier which was what I previously used to do my transfers.

Some of you may be aware that I'm using a different component in this transfer but I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the rather bass-heavy sound of this release. For this transfer I used a tube-driven phono preamp instead of the solid state integrated amp but the bottom-heavy characteristic is consistent with what I heard initially when checking the LP out. I think it's a characteristic of this release.

-DLedin

levinejona
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:52 pm 

Doug-
If you can PM me that would be great with a lead that would be great. Silverking did a whole bunch of nice 24/96 transfers on d.......d. Also did a magnificent sgt. peppers uhqr mfsl release and a very nice magical mystery tour.

DLedin
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:15 pm 

levinejona wrote:
Doug-
If you can PM me that would be great with a lead that would be great. Silverking did a whole bunch of nice 24/96 transfers on d.......d. Also did a magnificent sgt. peppers uhqr mfsl release and a very nice magical mystery tour.

You have a PM.

-DLedin

joguema
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:21 pm 

markshan wrote:
joguema wrote:
Many thanks Doug.

You ratio goes up just from keeping a torrent open there, even if nobody downloads. You just have to be patient and use moderation.

Thanks Mark.

So they have a system similar to the "Karma Bonus" over at the hungry site - that's good new for me, because I really was afraid they would kick me soon for share ratio violation, as nobody else seems to be interested in Doug's work.

joguema
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:23 pm 

DLedin wrote:

joguema wrote:
Many thanks Doug.

Hey, I'll stop seeding the 16-bit version. It may help boost things for you.
-DLedin

Thanks Doug!

markshan
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:51 pm 

joguema wrote:
as nobody else seems to be interested in Doug's work.

It is a whole different world than Demonoid. A much smaller pool. I would up something seemingly insignificant at the green devil and 10 people would be on it in an hour. This place has a small membership, many of whom are MP3 types and/or techno types. That said, I am sure that within a few days his up will get more hits.

joeribt
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:14 pm 

I am not sure I get the whole "sharing" thing. Could someone let me know how to download these??? Thanks

DLedin
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 pm 

joeribt wrote:
I am not sure I get the whole "sharing" thing. Could someone let me know how to download these??? Thanks

You sound like me before I finally decided that there were too many interesting things being torrented and that it was a great way to share some of the projects that I'd been working on for myself, such as my needledrops.

I'm surprised that we don't have a sticky general "how-to" section in the Web Boots forum to give newcomers to torrents a general overview of sharing and provide a place for them to ask questions.

I'm no expert on this as I just got into the torrent game last July or so. Basically you need an application like µTorrent which is what I've been using. Through this application you can upload and download things such as audio. An application like µTorrent is called a torrent client. There are other torrent clients out there and they're typically free downloads.

Once you have a torrent client installed then you need a website that sponsors torrents. Demoniod & Oink were a couple of the popular ones around here but they're now shut down. If you pay attention to some of the threads in the Web Boots forum you'll be able to learn about other sites that are currently being used. Some of these sites require an invitation from an existing site member to join. Others you need only register.

It also helps if you have an internet connection that's faster than dial-up. That makes your uploading & downloading go faster.

On the torrent sites I've bounced around with I've found that most of them have tutorial sections/forums that help the beginner learn how to set up their particular torrent client and then also what steps you need to take to be able to download or upload something. Some sites have been very simple to work with while others are fairly complicated and take some effort to sort through their procedures for creating and uploading a torrent.

As to the sharing aspect, some sites keep track of how much you download in relation to how much you upload and translate that into a "share ratio". Some sites might have strict rules regarding share ratios and if a member does mainly nothing but download something and then run off to the next item to download the may get banned from the site. After downloading something it's a good idea to leave your torrent client running so that you now become a source (seed) for others to download from. This is part of the sharing aspect and is generally considered good manners.

One of the biggest reservations I had with torrents was that I was never comfortable with the idea of leaving my computer on for folks to reach in and upload from me. This does not seem to be a problem because you can specify exactly and limit the location on your computer where items are made available for others to access. When you download items, they also go to a specific folder that you create for your downloads.

While it all seems complicated at first, with a little time and effort, and asking questions most folks seem to be able to get a handle on the process. The hard part is finding a site that doesn't get shut down.

I won't go any deeper at this time but maybe someone else might add to the confusion I may have started here.

-DLedin

joeribt
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm 

Many many thanks for this explanation. This does shed some light on the torrents phenomena for me. I will "investigate" further and hope to be able to find a download of, first of all, the Amoeba official bootleg. Will keep you posted!

markshan
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:12 am 

http://www.utorrent.com/beginners-guide.php

One popular free client is uTorrent (it is what I use). On their site they have the page linked above. It has a fairly straight ahead guide to getting started as well as links to many other info resources.

Once you get a client up and running and gets your ports forwarded, PM me. I'll save an ST invite for you and direct you to some other good sites.

joeribt
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:15 pm 

Thanks a lot!!!

DLedin
 Post subject: Re: Needledrop: Paul McCartney, Amoeba's Secret
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 am 

At the request of a member, this is now upping at :devil: for the first time. I don't believe it's available at ST anymore.

-DLedin

5th-beatle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:25 pm 

Now hat this 4-track single is officially available on CD, I suppose that's the best source.

07.11.2010: Porto Alegre / 21-22.11.2010: São Paulo / 09.05.2011: Lima / 11.05.2011: Santiago / 22-23.05.2011: Rio de Janeiro / 15.04.2012: Montevideo / 17.04.2012: Asunción / 21-22.04.2012: Recife / 25.04.2012: Florianópolis / 04.05.2013: Belo Horizonte / 06.05.2013: Goiânia / 09.05.2013: Fortaleza / 19.04.2014: Montevideo / 21-22.04.2014: Santiago / 25.04.2014: Lima / 28.04.2014: Quito
Ringo Starr Concerts:
12.11.2011: São Paulo / 20.11.2011: Recife

markshan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:33 pm 

5th-beatle wrote:
Now hat this 4-track single is officially available on CD, I suppose that's the best source.

Probably not. What leads you to that assumption?

Macca
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:35 pm 

markshan wrote:
5th-beatle wrote:

Probably not. What leads you to that assumption?

Almost all new vinyl comes from a digital source?

//McKenzie