BootlegZone

Made for and by bootleg lovers
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Beatle Bob
 Post subject: The Three Stooges Vol. 1 1934-1935
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:28 pm 

So who else bought the Three Stooges Vol. 1 1934-1935 remastered and restored DVD set recently? Man, these prints look just about pristine. The audio is clean and gone is the hiss and crackling normally heard on the tv prints or older DVDs. The slaps and sound effects are vivid. The prints have been struck from the negatives (from what I was told in most cases) and have been cleaned up to be just about spec and spot free. No extras on this collection but at least Sony has heard the fans and has remastered/restored the prints (including a missing scene from one short) and offered them up chronologically this time. These are the Columbia shorts and not the early works done with Ted Healy. Some of those are available on pd DVDs and some legit DVDs as bonus items.

Kudos to Sony!

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)

old flat top
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:45 pm 

Excellent! I have not seen them but I will be sure to pick one up (or add it to my Xmas list!)

sascherl
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:06 am 

Thanks for the heads-up. Stooges Rule!

Beatle Bob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:54 pm 

sascherl wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Stooges Rule!

Why coitenly! Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck :wink:

Regards,
Beatle Bob

pasadena
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 pm 

I resemble that remark! Spread out!

Beatle Bob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:52 pm 

pasadena wrote:
I resemble that remark! Spread out!

To Pasadena who is talking in his sleep. (Slaps Pasadena): "Wake up and go to sleep!" :wink:

Regards,
Beatle Bob

old flat top
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 pm 

I'll moidelize ya!

BA-bay-BE-bee-B-I-Bickey-Bi-BO-Bo, Bickey-Bi-Bo, BU-boo-bickey-bi-bo-boo.

reedpigman
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:09 pm 

Glad to hear that they didn't bother with the Ted Healy films!

Beatle Bob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:02 am 

reedpigman wrote:
Glad to hear that they didn't bother with the Ted Healy films!

I've seen this on t-shirts. I gotta pick it up one day :)

Regards,
Beatle Bob

reedpigman
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:32 am 

Beatle Bob wrote:
I've seen this on t-shirts. I gotta pick it up one day :)

Regards,
Beatle Bob

Get the prayer rug while you're at it! Wives love these like leg lamps.

Beatle Bob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:50 pm 

After I got the Three Stooges. Vol. 1 when it was released I have been snapping up other official releases that have remastered shorts or films containing the Three Stooges. I've aquired and added to the small collection I already had consisting of Curly Classics, Three Stooges In Color (Fox-included remastered b&w pd shorts), Soup To Nuts, Stooged And Confused (Col-remastered b&w shorts with colorized versions), Flying Down To Rio("Beer and Pretzels"), Meet The Baron, Gold Raiders and today I picked up Dancing Lady (w/"Roast Beef and Movies" and "Plane Nuts").

I know on Kirk Douglas' Golden Boy DVD there is a solo Shemp short available. Is there anything I'm missing aside from the rest of the Columbia colorized DVDs that contain more remastered b&w shorts (that will eventually come out in future chronological collections), that could be attached to other DVDs as bonus features. I certainly don't want to pick up the early Colubmia DVD incarnations.

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Beatle Bob

wizz
 Post subject: Re: The Three Stooges Vol. 1 1934-1935
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:23 pm 

Beatle Bob wrote:
Man, these prints look just about pristine. The audio is clean and gone is the hiss and crackling normally heard on the tv prints or older DVDs......and offered them up chronologically this time.

Regards,
Beatle Bob

rehash.

How could someone dare put out a cleaned up version and better sounding audio.And chronologically you say?I'll stick to my original 1990's version.I paid alot of money for it,so it's got to be better,right?The artwork is nice.

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 am 

wizz wrote:
Beatle Bob wrote:
Man, these prints look just about pristine. The audio is clean and gone is the hiss and crackling normally heard on the tv prints or older DVDs......and offered them up chronologically this time.

Regards,
Beatle Bob

rehash.

How could someone dare put out a cleaned up version and better sounding audio.And chronologically you say?I'll stick to my original 1990's version.I paid alot of money for it,so it's got to be better,right?The artwork is nice.

Most of these never came out on DVD or VHS previously. Go here for further details:

http://www.inthebalcony.com/shorts/

Regards,
Beatle Bob

wizz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 am 

Beatle Bob wrote:
wizz wrote:
Beatle Bob wrote:

Regards,
Beatle Bob

rehash.

Most of these never came out on DVD or VHS previously. Go here for further details:

Regards,
Beatle Bob

you know I'm messing BB.

I'm a Laurel & Hardy fan.A whole lot funnier.

I used to enjoy Harold Lloyd on a Saturday morning in my younger days.Any dvd sets of his available?

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:37 am 

wizz wrote:
Beatle Bob wrote:
wizz wrote:
Beatle Bob wrote:

Regards,
Beatle Bob

rehash.

Regards,
Beatle Bob

you know I'm messing BB.

I'm a Laurel & Hardy fan.A whole lot funnier.

I used to enjoy Harold Lloyd on a Saturday morning in my younger days.Any dvd sets of his available?

I know...but figured some wouldn't get it and I wanted folks to see the link...Btw I'm a L&H fan too, and agree they're much funnier, but I've always appreciated most slapstick comedy from L&H to Chaplin and Keaton, to Arbuckle, The Three Stooges, etc. I can spend a day with all these comics on my tv and have a blast!

This is a must have for Lloyd fans:

http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Lloyd-Come ... 717&sr=1-1

Regards,
Beatle Bob

wizz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:45 am 

Beatle Bob wrote:
This is a must have for Lloyd fans:

http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Lloyd-Come ... 717&sr=1-1

Regards,
Beatle Bob

thanks.
Just found this set on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harold-Lloyd-De ... 870&sr=1-1

Another item to add to my daughter's christmas list.
I hope she will also enjoy the Help & McCartney dvd's :lol:

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:13 pm 

wizz wrote:
Another item to add to my daughter's christmas list.
I hope she will also enjoy the Help & McCartney dvd's :lol:

As long as you don't tell her they're "cropped" :lol:

The link to the amazon uk Lloyd set I think, is the same as the US set with a minor variation if I remember correctly?

Regards,
Beatle Bob

jojo_lennon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:22 pm 

I have the first 3 volumes of the Stooges Collection :

1934-1936 2 dvds
1937-1939 2 dvds
1940-1942 2 dvds

The 1930's to the late 1950's had the great comedy teams including Laurel & Hardy,Abbott & Costello,Three Stooges.Marx Brothers & Lewis & Martin.Don't think we'll ever see that kind of humour again.They were all brilliant in their own way.The only collections Im missing are Laurel & Hardy & Marx Brothers.

ONE-EARED JACK
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:26 pm 

jojo_lennon wrote:

1934-1936 2 dvds
1937-1939 2 dvds
1940-1942 2 dvds

The 1930's to the late 1950's had the great comedy teams including Laurel & Hardy,Abbott & Costello,Three Stooges.Marx Brothers & Lewis & Martin.Don't think we'll ever see that kind of humour again.They were all brilliant in their own way.The only collections Im missing are Laurel & Hardy & Marx Brothers.

In the US, Laurel and Hardy are sadly absent from quality DVD releases (although you can find public domain films like "Flying Deuces" and "Atoll K", as well as some early silent shorts for sale on budget-line DVD). In the UK and the Netherlands they've gotten the proper treatment, with all the Hal Roach shorts and features being released in a box set nicely restored (there's even the two and three-reel versions of "Laughing Gravy" as well as their early sound foreign language versions). I was fortunate enough to get EVERYTHING they did, minus a few cameos, off the :devil: in avi format. For a budget-minded, Amercan Laurel and Hardy fan, it was a gift from above. Granted, watching more than one or two in a sitting can become redundant since a lot of their 'schtick' was the same, but when they were at their best I don't think there was anyone on a par with them.
The Marx brothers are all available on DVD, but as i have oall the old Paramounts on VHS, I haven't bothered to upgrade.
I'm stll waiting on a chronological "Our Gang", or any other Hal Roach. Kino released two volumes of Charley Chase a couple of years ago, which was nice but IMO not a fair representation of his best work. Still, there's plenty of other Hal Roach series (Thelma Todd and Zasu Pitts, or Todd with Patsy Kelly come to mind immediately) that are sadly unavailable.

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:51 pm 

ONE-EARED JACK wrote:
jojo_lennon wrote:

1934-1936 2 dvds
1937-1939 2 dvds
1940-1942 2 dvds

In the US, Laurel and Hardy are sadly absent from quality DVD releases (although you can find public domain films like "Flying Deuces" and "Atoll K", as well as some early silent shorts for sale on budget-line DVD). In the UK and the Netherlands they've gotten the proper treatment, with all the Hal Roach shorts and features being released in a box set nicely restored (there's even the two and three-reel versions of "Laughing Gravy" as well as their early sound foreign language versions). I was fortunate enough to get EVERYTHING they did, minus a few cameos, off the :devil: in avi format. For a budget-minded, Amercan Laurel and Hardy fan, it was a gift from above. Granted, watching more than one or two in a sitting can become redundant since a lot of their 'schtick' was the same, but when they were at their best I don't think there was anyone on a par with them.
The Marx brothers are all available on DVD, but as i have oall the old Paramounts on VHS, I haven't bothered to upgrade.
I'm stll waiting on a chronological "Our Gang", or any other Hal Roach. Kino released two volumes of Charley Chase a couple of years ago, which was nice but IMO not a fair representation of his best work. Still, there's plenty of other Hal Roach series (Thelma Todd and Zasu Pitts, or Todd with Patsy Kelly come to mind immediately) that are sadly unavailable.

Jack,

The Marx Bros on DVD is a worthy upgrade to your collection. Essential comedy that you need to see in much better visual quality.

An "Our Gang/Little Rascals" box set, mainly comprising the the sound Hal Roach period is coming out next week:

http://www.silentcomedians.com/forum/vi ... 451a767c73

This set looks to be a winner and must have.

The Laurel and Hardy sound shorts and features are mostly absent from the US market. Those mega import remastered box sets are nice, but expensive and you need an all-region player. Something I don't want to deal with. I have some nice Hallmark DVDS comprising some of their better sound material:

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Desert-Ano ... 405&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-West ... 98&sr=1-15

Though the above really aren't remastered, they look decent enough.

A WB release TCM Archives: The Laurel and Hardy Collection:

http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Archives-Coll ... 405&sr=1-6

There are some excellent oop Image DVDs ("The Lost Films Of Laurel And Hardy") comprising of their silent shorts that is essential to aquire and not that hard to find. Also, Fox released their post Roach features in two box sets, "Laurel and Hardy Collection Vol. 1 and Vol. 2". Not essential but if you're a big fan, you'll need to have these too.

Right now I'm on a Three Stooges kick, and am totally enjoying the remastered Three Stooges
Collections (Vol. 4 just came out). Knockabout slaptstick comedy that still doesn't fail to entice laughter even from the humorless out there.

I understand Sony is working on a Charlie Chase Columbia shorts box set very similiar to their Buster Keaton set from about 2 years ago. That will be a major find if it gets released.

Regards,
Beatle Bob

Finlayson
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:57 pm 

Just wondering:

I've always considered the Abbott and Costello television show to be the last great series of 'two-reelers'. Particularly the first season, with Joe Besser, Gordon Jones, etc. (...), and Gleason & Carney as Ralph & Ed to be the last of the great comedy teams. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up, Beatle Bob. I saw the new Stooges in a shop last week and you've confirmed my gut. I'll pick 'em up soon. My favorite Larry line is "This oughta be a strainer", referring to a wicker-seated chair...

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:29 am 

Volume 5 1946-1948, March 17 !

Regards,
Beatle Bob

zappaf78
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:10 pm 

A little off-topic but:
OFF TOPIC!!!
Since their cinematic debut in 1934, The Three Stooges have attracted millions of fans worldwide including The King Of All Media himself, Howard Stern. The Stooges have been a constant influence throughout Stern’s legendary radio career, inspiring conversations, comedy bits and constant references to their genius.

In May 2009, during his interview with Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron, Howard learned that as a teenager in the 70’s, Bergeron had the chance to actually interview two of the original Three Stooges, Moe Howard and Larry Fine. Bergeron noted that he even recorded the conversations but didn’t know the exact location of these precious tapes. Howard responded to Tom that if he could find these sacred recordings, he would create an exclusive special to showcase the interviews on his channels at Sirius XM Radio.

Tom Bergeron went home and found the tapes.

Howard Stern and Sirius XM Radio are proud to present an exciting new special, The Three Stooges: Lost and Found Interviews. Hosted by Emmy Award winner Tom Bergeron, The Three Stooges: Lost and Found Interviews features Tom’s extremely rare interviews he conducted as a teenager with Moe Howard and Larry Fine as well as the unique stories behind them. On the tapes, both Moe and Larry discuss the history of the Stooges plus the Curly/Shemp/Curly-Joe/Joe “third stooge” evolution. Larry reminisces about working with Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, in one memorable moment, Moe takes a swipe at legendary comedians Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope. (Knuckleheads!) The interview with Larry Fine was done just months before his death in 1975.

In addition to these priceless interviews, host Tom Bergeron will highlight some of The Howard Stern Show’s greatest Stooge-themed moments from Howard’s personal radio archive including a “Beaver Break” from 1982, the Stern Show gang playing “Three Stooges” trivia, Howard reflecting on watching the Stooges with his father Ben Stern as well as several legendary bits from the mid-90’s featuring the Stern Show’s master Larry Fine impressionist, Billy West.

The Three Stooges: Lost and Found Interviews hosted by Tom Bergeron will air on Friday, July 31st at 2:00pm ET on Howard 101.

It’s a must-hear for Stooge and Stern fans alike.

Now I've heard parts of this interview from '75 and it is really good. Moe's son is also appearing in this satellite radio special. :)

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:59 am 

Some more about the interviews:

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=3125.0

If anyone has a copy of this show, please PM me.

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Beatle Bob

Beatle Bob
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:47 am 

Movies Unlimited shows a pre-order listing for The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10, 2009.

This should be considered tentative information, until official information is confirmed by Sony.

Regards,
Beatle Bob